Monday 13 January 2014

What are you thankful for?

Heather!
Ok, so I have missed Thanksgiving (and now December too - sorry Heather!), but a few weeks ago I made a promise to an amazing lady, funky mum, immensely positive person and one of a handful of long term survivors of a rare form of cancer, despite being given only 15 months to live 8 years ago (you can read about her story here ) that I would write a blog post about something I am thankful for and help people become aware of this terrible disease. As I'm not American, I'm hoping my rather lapsidasical attitude to time keeping to Thanksgiving might be overlooked on this occasion! Plus, this way I get to be one of the first people to push Heather's message into 2014!

Before I write my 'thankfully things' though, part of my reason for not having written this blog post until now is that really, when you look at it, I have so many things to be thankful for, the little things, the big things and the obscure things, I'm not entirely sure where to start. (I know...aren't I lucky, yey!)

Secondly, I'm not exactly a gushy person on the outside (yes, gushy is a real adjective, whereas, there is some discussion as to whether lapsidasical is even a real word...I digress...), so displaying the things that I am thankful for out there, in full view, in the public arena, fills me with some trepidation. The cause, however, is most definitely a noble one and therefore I am prepared to make myself slightly uncomfortable in order to help fight it.

So, I have narrowed my Thankful list to two major categories...here goes:

1. I am thankful for my family - I won't go through them all (although I could because I think there are so many amazing people in my family) but here are the ones I want to share for now:

My two sons who make me laugh, cry, cross, happy, sometimes ashamed but most definitely very, very proud. You are my world, my good, my bad and I will always be here for you...probably far beyond the time that you want me to be here for you, mind you!

My husband, who supports me in all my mad ventures and crazy ideas (albeit a little bit too much of a realist at times for my liking!!), who picks me up when I am down, who loves me when I am horrible and no-one else would and who's loyalty I am probably thankful for most of all. I love you.

My incredible sister, selfless, an amazing mother, role model, woman. I have missed you since I moved away to University and wish I could pop in for tea, go shopping or take you out for lunch. But when we talk it's like you are just down the road and I can't wait to see you again soon.

2. I am thankful for my life. I am in good health, I have food on the table, clothes on my back, a roof over my head, a job in a place where employment is difficult, friends who make me laugh, challenges to keep me occupied and mountain views all around me that take your breath away. In the last 18 months I have experienced things that some people will never experience in a lifetime. My problems are small in comparison to others (although they often feel to me like some of the mountains I am looking at) and I can genuinely say there is something in my life that makes me smile everyday - even if some days I have to look harder for it than others. In all of this I consider myself to be a very, very lucky lady.

On a final note, as this is my 'thankful' post (just in case you had missed that fact!), I am thankful to Heather, for contacting me and asking me to write this. I would never have done it otherwise. 

So, tell me, what are you thankful for?...

2 comments:

  1. I'm thankful for many of the same things that you are thankful for too Michelle. Family, friends, a roof over my head and a job that pays the bills. But most of all, mainly because all who have gone before me, I am thankful for opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here, here Matt! When opportunity knocks make sure you grab it with both hands...as Heather shows us Life is not a rehearsal!

      Delete